Popular Posts

Thursday 22 October 2015

Problems with Windows 10

OK  I tried Windows 10 (from Windows 7) and thought I would let you know how I got on.

I liked the look of Win 10 and all my old software worked on it. So far so good. But the problem was that Win 10 would not allow me to associate my old software with file types. So (for example) to open a picture to edit it it, I needed to open the software, find and open the file and then edit it. All far more effort than just clicking on a picture and then editing it. So sorry but Win 10 had to go.

So I rolled it back to Win 7, then my problems really started. First my printer was destroyed. OK it was an old printer (HP Officejet 8000) and I knew the printer drivers would not work with Win 10. But once it was returned to Win 7 everything went wrong, it would no longer print double-sided and after each print (which was very poor quality) a test page was also printed. So new printer bought.

But also on the return to Win 7, my email client Windows Live Mail was corrupted. Now I know thats a known problem with a return from Win 10. Luckily I had backed up my emails. So that all was required was to delete Windows Live Mail, find and delete its storage folder on my computer and reload Windows Live Mail. I am now loading the saved emails and restoring them to their rightful folders, thats taken about 3 days of work so far.

So the motto of my story, if your software is not designed to operate (fully) under Win 10, just don’t do the upgrade. Rolling it back is not as problem-free as Microsoft claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment